This site uses cookies.

The types of cookies we use, and the way we use them, are explained in our Privacy Policy. By clicking "Accept" or continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of Cookies. More information

Suzanne Senst
Sales Representative

Royal LePage Real Estate Services Ltd. Brokerage

The Junction

The Junction, Toronto

The Junction

 

The Junction has a feel to it of an older community with its own unique character. The community is bordered by Annette Street and Dundas Street West, offering an unusual, even quaint, urban neighbourhood for residents. The Junction’s charm attracts a variety of residents, from young professionals to families and seniors.

The Junction was built as a neighbourhood near the West Toronto Diamond, a junction of four railway lines in the area. It was previously an independent city called West Toronto, until amalgamating with the city of Toronto in 1909.  In the northwestern quadrant of the neighbourhood is The Stockyards, which have been revitalized as a modern shopping area.

The Village of West Toronto Junction was founded in 1884 at the intersection of Dundas and Keele Streets. After several transformations, it was amalgamated with Toronto in 1909. The character of The Junction comes from the fact that it retains small town charm from its historic origins as a railway town. In 1904, the behaviour of the Junction workers was so out of hand, that the residents voted for banning the sale of alcohol. It was a long and tough fight to regain the right to again serve alcohol in the area and it was not until 2001 that the first drink was poured east of Keele Street.

Dundas and Keele Street East 1912

Dundas and Keele Street, Looking East in 1912

What To Do And See

The local residents love the farmer’s market, as well as the shops and restaurants along Dundas. The Junction is home to some of the city's most interesting furniture shops, espresso bars, restaurants and a live music venue. The neighbourhood is quite walkable; many errands can be done on foot. There is a bus that runs down Dundas Street West to Dundas West subway station which will also take you to Roncesvalles neighbourhood, where you can enjoy more shopping and restaurants as well as High Park.

The Junction Real Estate

The Junction is known for its unique loft-style apartment buildings, cute urban semis, and detached homes on side streets. Homes are still reasonably affordable in this neighbourhood in comparison to other Toronto neighbourhoods. In the table below is shown the statistics for 6 months up to April 24, 2018:

Type

Number of Solds

Average Price of Solds

Semi-Detached

16

$914,063

Detached, 2-Storey

10

$1,116,140

Condo Apt

16

$604,382

 

Schools

  • Annette Street Public School - A public elementary school located at 265 Annette Street. The original east building was constructed in 1886 and the west wing was added in 1960. The school shares the facilities (including the library, gym, pool and playground) with High Park Alternative School. It also shares space with The Junction Daycare and the Toronto Parks and Recreation Department.
  • High Park Alternative School - A public elementary school sharing space in the Annette Street Public School, it was founded in 1981.
  • Indian Road Crescent Junior Public School - A public elementary school located at 285 Indian Road Crescent, east of Annette and Keele Streets. Indian Road Crescent serves students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 6. The school population is approximately 330. It also shares space with Holland-Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation daycare.
  • St Cecilia Catholic School - A Catholic public school located at 355 Annette Street. The present St. Cecilia Catholic School, at the corner of Annette Street and Evelyn Avenue, opened in 1914 with additions in 1918, 1954 and 1964. From the school's website "The school's first teachers and administrators were the Loretto Nuns, who lived in the former Heintzman family residence at Annette and Laws Streets".
  • Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton (Catholic Secondary) - Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton is a multicultural co-educational Catholic secondary school, located at 1515 Bloor St. W. A full academic program is offered at the three levels of difficulty. In addition, a gifted program and a program for multiple exceptionality and developmentally delayed students are available.

 

 

adminlistingsprivacy policycontactsite map
Royal Lepage Real Estate Services Ltd.,brokerage
416-236-1871, independently owned & operated
Copyright © 2002-2018. All rights reserved.
Marketing for Real Estate Agents by Lone Wolf Technologies.
Lone Wolf Technologies